Virtual PCs (VPCs)
Virtual PCs is a new initiative to standardise central PC management using cloud infrastructure and technologies. This standardisation only not reduces the PC support work at department level, but also enhances user experience. Colleagues are no longer required to take care of the software and security updates on their own.
5 ways to work easier with Virtual PCs (1'07") - Watch video
Virtual PCs help colleagues work easier in these ways:
1 - Easy to set up; 2 - Save space; 3 - Save time to log in; 4 - No hassle of software updates; 5 - Save time to back up files.
The video is also accessible at the SMARTER@HKU YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AwudbchKdY&t=3s
Virtual PCs help IT colleagues work faster (1'11") - Watch video
Virtual PCs enable IT colleagues to enjoy the benefits such as easy to order, quick delivery and simple plug and play.
The video is also accessible at SMARTER@HKU YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qkVL7eDpx4&t=1s
More about Virtual PCs
Easy Set up
A VPC box is small and takes up little desktop space. It is used together with a keyboard, a mouse and a monitor. Set up is simple by plug and play.
- Colleagues can enjoy single login to use centralised IT services including email and file storage platforms (such as SharePoint and Departmental Data Asset Storage (DDAS)).
- VPCs provide a common set of readily available software for use by colleagues with regular updates through central management. The latest software list is available at http://www.its.hku.hk/SMARTER-IT/vpc#software-list, which will be updated from time to time.
- Self-service data recovery is available via daily snapshots for up to 30 days.
Higher Security Protection
VPCs provide continual Windows and security patch updates, reducing the chance of security incidents.
A Note about USB Handling
To align with the University’s Information Security and Data Management (ISDM) policy implementation, VPCs do not support USB storage devices. Departments may consider using a dedicated PC for using USBs.
It just takes a one-time migration to copy the data from an old PC to a VPC. ITS will provide user guide and assistance in the data migration process to ensure a smooth transition.
Phase 1: Available now
- To launch 500 VPCs. ITS will conduct reviews with users and track benefits following the completion of Phase 1.
Phase 2: June 2019
- More VPCs will be deployed to departments not covered under Phase 1.
To apply for VPCs, please fill in CF85 on Application for Virtual PCs. The allocation of VPCs will be based on the rollout schedule.
Colleagues are welcome to join one of the hands-on training sessions to learn more about Virtual PCs. Details are accessible at https://www.its.hku.hk/SMARTER-IT#vpc-training.
All colleagues are also welcome to visit the Learning Environment Services offices at Chi Wah Learning Commons (CPD-1.64) or the Curve (KKL-204) and try out the demonstration units (Monday–Friday 9am–5pm).
For enquiries, please contact the ITS Service Desk at email@example.com or 3917 0123.
Other new IT developments: