University-wide ITS Cloud Deployment
This is an initiative for moving towards a Virtual Data Centre through a University-wide ITS cloud deployment. It helps reduce physical servers at department level to improve office space utilisation, add security and reliability to the servers and reduce the total cost of ownership in server maintenance.
The readily available ITS Cloud service can eliminate departments' effort in procurement and server setup. New provision can be readily available for use in a day upon request approval.
Scope of Service
Departments can now access the self-service portal (https://itscloud.hku.hk) to request a cloud server with 2 virtual CPUs, 4GB memory and 100GB disk storage supported by central funding. The benefits of ITS Cloud include:
- Standard and secure OS image
- Built-in high availability to cater for hardware failure
- Ability to extend disaster recovery setup among data centres in Main Campus and Centennial Campus
- Secure web application protection (SSL certificate) by default via Web Application Firewall (for website address in the form of https://<name>.hku.hk)
- Self-service portal to request cloud server/storage changes easily
- Other readily available subscription services like rack space to host computing equipment and Network Attached Storage (NAS) storage
- Resource pool subscription to allow departments to build their IT infrastructure from a pool of processors, memory, storage and networking resources as a Virtual Data Centre
- Operating System (OS) administration service and regular security updates by ITS
Rollout and Training
The new service is now available for use by departments. Details of the training sessions are accessible at http://www.its.hku.hk/SMARTER-IT#trainingsessions.
For enquiries, please contact the ITS Service Desk at email@example.com or 3917 0123.
(This webpage was updated on January 18, 2019)
Other new IT developments: