Audio Visual Standards (AVS)
ITS has introduced a set of common Audio Visual Standards (AVS) to facilitate University central/departments in the acquisition and setting up of rooms with AV facilities.
AVS aims to provide an easy-to-use and cost-effective solution to address the common needs of departments in managing AV facilities. AVS includes the following components:
- Purchase of AV equipment and consumable items through term tenders
- Remote support, management and monitoring of AV equipment
- Learning Space Design Guidelines
ITS coordinates the tendering exercises for the purchase of AV equipment. Department staff can visit HKU Portal (https://hkuportal.hku.hk/) for the tender lists (search “tender” and click the link “Tender Prices”). The current term tenders cover high-definition visualisers, wireless microphones, projectors and projector consumables. Review will be done timely for updating and extending the coverage of models and types of AV equipment.
Remote Support and Management
- Departments can enjoy remote support from ITS as long as their equipment and installation are in compliance with AVS.
- The centralised support of AV equipment allows departments to monitor, manage and solve technology issues through the remote support feature of the centralised control system whenever necessary which can reduce the resolution time of the issues.
- The centralised control system enforces environmental friendly policy which can turn off the AV equipment remotely whenever a room is empty and not in use for reducing energy consumption and lengthening the usage life of the AV equipment.
Standardised Guidelines for Setup Made Easy
The HKU Learning Space Design Guidelines and Standards facilitates AV setup in rooms of different sizes and seating capacity. The common standards covers acquisition, setup, commissioning and management of AV equipment and the requirements on coordinating with discipline consultants/contractors in remodeling of the AV facilities.
Rollout and Training
The new service has been rolled out in November 2018. Colleagues are welcome to join the briefing sessions and workshops and make use of the advisory sessions offered:
Briefing Sessions and Workshops
The following briefing sessions and workshops will be arranged and details will soon be announced at http://www.its.hku.hk/SMARTER-IT#trainingsessions:
- Briefing sessions on tackling high-level project management and hands-on technical training workshops for departmental AV or IT support staff.
- The Audiovisual and Integrated Experience Association (AVIXA) and industrial manufacturers will be invited to share with departments the latest technologies, techniques and development trends in the AV industry.
Advisory Sessions with ITS Team
Departments which wish to get advice and guidance on the following types of projects can book a consultation session with ITS by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- AV system design, procurement, tendering and installation
- Real-time AV system maintenance supported by AMX Remote Support Suite (RMS)
- AV equipment operations and maintenance
A Focus Group will soon be formed to collect feedback from departments on their needs and suggestions on AVS and the associated support regarding the use of AV equipment. An invitation email will be sent out soon.
For enquiries, please contact the ITS Service Desk at email@example.com or 3917 0123.
Other new IT developments: